Keynote Round Up: John Strickland, What's happening in the world of the major low cost airlines serving the Gulf
The Arabian Travel Market
Global Stage, Wednesday 27th April
Missed John Strickland, Director of JLS Consulting interviewing Paul Byrne, CEO of FlyNas? Not to worry, here’s an overview of all the key points from John Strickland.
What was covered?
- A conversation with Paul Byrne, CEO of Saudi Arabian low cost airline, FlyNas and veteran of the global low cost airline market.
- The conversation provided insight into the airlines 9 year history and how Paul has more recently been getting the airline into shape and delivering consistency.
- A look at the interesting characteristics of the Saudi market, various restrictions and a young national population that want to travel for example.
Why is this a hot topic?
- FlyNas is a low cost airline and low cost airlines are real drivers of travel, both leisure and business.
- The Saudi Arabian market has been kept in a straight jacket under previous regulation but is starting to open up.
- The Saudi Arabian government are starting to look to diversify the economy away from oil, tourism could be a key part of that.
- Airlines like FlyNas will be a part of that process of diversification and increasing travel within and to and from the country.
What were the key points?
- Consistency and discipline are key, anyone can run and an airline and fill planes but not make money, FlyNas is running a profitable business.
- A key challenge has been getting local Saudi Arabian’s with experience in low cost airlines to work with FlyNas, because to date they have no experience of other operators other than Saudia.
- There is a young population so this gives a positive outlook for recruiting and development within the airline industry going forward.
How do you see this topic developing over the next 12 to 18 months?
- It will be an interesting time, the Saudi government is opening up the market and giving licenses to other operators.
- Saudia themselves announced in recent weeks they are starting a low cost airline in 2017.
- Lots of changes happening in that market.
Like what you’ve heard so far?
You can also hear Paul’s round-up of the session here >
You can watch John and Paul's full session here >
Alternatively you can listen to John and Paul’s full session or download the podcast from Itunes below.